THE FINISTERRE MOUNTAINS’ NEED
The Finisterre Mountains Range – a mountain range found on the second biggest island in the world, Papua New Guinea, located North East of Australia. Out of the 70 tribes in these mountains, all speaking different languages, 53 are still unreached.
What do I mean ‘unreached’ people?
- They have not heard that they are sinners, and that because of their sin, they’re under the wrath of God (Rom 1:18-25) Because they are sinner, they need to hear the message of repentance and belief in Christ Jesus, the only Savior. Acts 4:12 – “And there is salvation in no one else, for there is NO OTHER NAME under heaven given among men by which we must be saved”
- They have no way of hearing. They don’t have the Scripture translated into their own language in order that they can hear about Christ. Rom 10:13 – “For ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’ How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”
GOSPEL PROCLAMATION, CHURCH PLANTING & BIBLE TRANSLATION
Missionary work is not a clever, man-made plan – it is God’s plan and desire. Matt 28:18-20 – “And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
We desire to carry out God’s command by…
- Learning the nDo language.
- Proclaiming the gospel to the people in their language (Rom 1:16-17.)
- Baptizing believers.
- Teaching those who trust in Christ as their Savior to observe all that He has commanded us.
- Translating the Scriptures into their language.
- Planting a local church.
- Encouraging them to “go” and do the same work of Matt 28:18-20 in their surrounding villages.
Our desire is that the believer may continue to grow in maturity. God ordained for this to happen in the local church, as fellow believers meet together. Thus we plan to plant a church, with elders to Shepherd them, who meet the qualifications of Titus 1:5-9.
Ephesians 4:11-16 – “And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.”
Our desire is that God may be GLORIFIED by the people in Mawarero! As Chris Woolley said : “God the Father originated the mission, the Son enacted the mission, the Spirit empowered the mission, the church carries out the mission, the world encompasses the mission and the glory of God fulfils the mission.”